Ten (times two) Best Natural Horror Films

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL HEADING:
Here’s another blog I made.  Another one?  Really?  Oh well, I like lists so this blog contains lists only.  Unlike my Best/Worst of the Year lists posted on my other blog (one of many), Best and Worst Films Archive, this one will contain top ten lists for specific genres.  Whenever people ask me what my favorite movie is, I never have a definitive answer so these entries will give you a general idea of what some of my favorite films are.  Agree or disagree, I don’t give a ‘eff’ (that’s your right)…
*Read any previous lists in the archive section at the bottom or by clicking on arrow at top left*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Natural horror makes it sound like they were born horror movies and every other film in the genre was made that way.  Natural refers to nature and involves wild animals attacking humans (or other animals), or regularly domestic animals turning savage (i.e. Cujo, The Birds, Night of the Lepus, etc.).  I cheated this time by making a list of twenty instead of ten.  Initially, I made two separate lists of ten like I did for my ‘Favorite Christmas Movies’ blog, making ten for natural horror films not involving sharks and one specifically for shark movies.  I ended up having more than ten for my non-shark films and not quite ten for shark films.  I picked movies involving animals acting naturally as possible, meaning I didn’t want to include movies with enhanced beings (i.e. Sharktopus, Eight Legged Freaks, Dinoshark, etc.) since those would befit either a Sci-Fi or Creature Feature list.  Backcountry contains the most brutal bear attack I’ve seen in a feature film so I recognized it.  I listed three Piranha movies (the original, the remake, the sequel to the remake) as one because they’re all fun but I don’t really prefer any over the other.  The sequel to the original (Piranha II:  The Spawning) was omitted because it was awful.  I didn’t do the same with Jaws and Jaws 2 because Jaws stands on its own and Jaws 2 was included because it had the highest body count in the series.  Jaws 3 wasn’t included because it wasn’t as good as the first two, and Jaws:  The Revenge is one of those so-bad-its-watchable entries (the shark turned into a slasher basically).  Shark Night almost made it to the list because it was fun.  I added Sharknado to my original list of ten shark films and that’s when I knew I had to combine the two if I was just going to pick films to finish the list.  I mean, Sharknado is fun and became a significant part of modern pop culture, but I don’t think it would be quite right to include it on a list of favorites, although that chainsaw through the shark scene is still amazing.  Like always, this list (despite doubling it) was hard to decide what to include and omit since there’s many films in the subgenre I think are fun and/or cheesy.  Anyway, here’s a general idea of some of my favorite natural horror films…

Twenty Favorite Natural Horror Movies
1.            Alligator
2.            Anaconda
3.            Arachnophobia
4.            Backcountry
5.            Black Water
6.            Burning Bright*
7.            Cujo
8.            Deep Blue Sea
9.            The Edge
10.          47 Meters Down
11.          Frozen (2010)
12.          The Ghost and the Darkness
13.          Jaws*
14.          Jaws 2
15.          Open Water
16.          Orca
17.          Piranha/Piranha 3D/Piranha DD
18.          Prey (2007)
19.          Rogue*

20.          The Shallows

*indicates a standout title

---Sean O.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten (and 1/2) Best Stephen King Adaptations

Ten Best Ghost Movies

Ten Best Anthology Movies/Shows