Ten Best Anthology Movies/Shows


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL HEADING:
Here’s another blog I made.  Another one?  Really?  Oh well, I like lists so this blog contains lists only.  Unlike my Best/Worst of the Year lists posted on my other blog (one of many), Best and Worst Films Archive, this one will contain top ten lists for specific genres.  Whenever people ask me what my favorite movie is, I never have a definitive answer so these entries will give you a general idea of what some of my favorite films are.  Agree or disagree, I don’t give a ‘eff’ (that’s your right)…
*Read any previous lists in the archive section at the bottom or by clicking on arrow at top left*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Anthology movies.  Anthology shows.  Those cinematic equivalents to the literary short story, often with a wraparound segment (in movies) or a host introducing them (in shows).  You know I love them (if you know me even just a little).  They don’t take up too much time no matter how often you revisit them, and usually they engage you enough without overstaying their welcome with added filler.  Being too short isn’t necessarily effective either, hence why I wasn’t the biggest fan of The ABCs of Death.  As you can see, I made it an even ten by picking 6 movies and 4 shows.  I could’ve easily made ten for each, but I didn’t feel some deserved the honor despite me being a fan.  Now, as with most of them, be it films or shows, rarely are all the segments hits; sometimes there are more hits than misses, more misses than hits, an equal amount of both, or extremely good hits amongst the mixed bunch that make the entire film worth watching (“The Thing in the Woods” alone made Nightmare Cinema great, and “Amelia” is the only segment that makes Trilogy of Terror memorable).  Creepshow 2, Tales from the Hood, and Trick ‘r Treat are examples in which all the segments were good.  I’ll admit to being a fan of Creepshow 2 more than Creepshow and that’s partly due to me seeing it first.  I do still like Creepshow (obviously, if it’s on the list), two of the tales not being great (“The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill” and “They’re Creeping Up on You”), but I enjoy the other ones enough to consider myself a big fan; nostalgia plays a big part for both films too.  Don’t even get me started on Creepshow 3.  Chillers is an enjoyably cheesy Eighties film that completely works despite its obvious low budget, and I could argue with myself that I included Cat’s Eye just to make a combined even ten, but I don’t dislike any of the segments at all and two things solidify my admiration for it---nostalgia and Stephen King.  Of course I like other anthology movies, such as A Christmas Horror Story, Terror Tract, Chillerama, Black Sabbath (how can a film that inspired the name of a pioneering metal band not be significant?), and some even made my ‘best of the year’ list during their release, i.e. Nightmare Cinema, All the Creatures were Stirring, Ghost Stories, and V/H/S/2 (that sequel being my favorite of that franchise), but none of them have left enough of an impression to be labeled as my personal favorites (and, yes, that can always change in the future).  As for the shows?  To be clear, an anthology show is not the same thing as an anthology series.  An anthology show is one where every single episode is different for every single season (i.e. The Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, etc.), whereas an anthology series is one in which each season contains a different story and characters (i.e. American Horror Story, True Detective, Channel Zero, etc.).  Tales from the Crypt and Are You Afraid of the Dark? are two of my all-time favorite shows; I very much like the animated Tales from the Cryptkeeper too, for nostalgia as well as standing the test of time.  As much as I like The Twilight Zone, I have a confession---I haven’t seen every single episode of the original or Eighties series, but I’ve seen enough to know I’m a fan (I own both so one day I will get around to seeing every single episode); I never saw the 2000s version and I wasn’t the biggest fan of the recent Jordan Peele revival, so when I say The Twilight Zone is one of my favorites, I’m specifically talking about the original series, thank you.  Yes, I have liked other anthology shows, such as Masters of Horror, Fear Itself, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Night Gallery, Tales from the Darkside, Black Mirror, and I was even a big fan of the recent Creepshow series available on Shudder, but none stick out in my mind as being favorites or hold any kind of nostalgic factor as much as the ones listed.  The Goosebumps television series came out at a time when I thought I was “too cool” for it (or perhaps “too old” since I was never “cool”) , even though I did watch some of them at the time, and I’m a bigger fan of the books than the show, but I did still enjoy the show (I’ve seen all the episodes over the years); I also like R.L. Stine’s other series, The Haunting Hour, but haven’t seen all the episodes (I will definitely buy a collection if ever released) and definitely haven’t read all the pre-adapted stories.  I was really disappointed with Hulu’s anthology series, Into the Dark; I mean, they were all movies instead of short segments, but I think I maybe liked three of them and didn’t even think they were too rave-worthy.  Anyway, here are the anthology films/shows that do stand out for me (even though I just explained the lists above)…

Six Favorite Anthology Movies
1.            Cat’s Eye                                                                             
2.            Chillers (1987)                                                                                  
3.            Creepshow                                                                        
4.            Creepshow 2*                                  
5.            Tales from the Hood*                                                                   
6.            Trick ‘r Treat*

Four Favorite Anthology Shows
1.            Are You Afraid of the Dark?* (original series)
2.            Tales from the Crypt*
3.            Tales from the Cryptkeeper
4.            The Twilight Zone

*indicates a standout title


---Sean O.
5/25/2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ten (and 1/2) Best Stephen King Adaptations

Ten Best Ghost Movies